Friday, December 28, 2007

My Favorite Christmas Gift, by Jay Kelly

What an amazing Christmas holiday we’ve had here at the Kelly house. We had cancelled our warm-weather travel plans because of financial concerns and decided to have a quiet Christmas celebration at home, just the four of us. Our Christmas has turned out to be quite eventful. There seemed to be a box or two on our front porch almost every afternoon (I’ve always loved receiving packages). We received a box of Korean pears from Jay Park and his fiancé, Minjung, who are currently studying and very close to the Kingdom. We found treasures from Connecticut thanks to Carol’s parents that included a gift of a goat to a needy third-world family in our honor. They also included the gift of shopping for Paige and Chandler and many other thoughtful surprises. I’ve always been amazed by Carol’s parents; they have become mine, too. Carol’s parents are better than Santa. Where is he on my birthday? With 10 children and 29 grandchildren, 4 great-grandchildren plus in-laws they never miss a beat. They express love and generosity to their family with a God-like faithfulness and determination. That’s one more reason why they belong to “The Greatest Generation.”
My mother showed up in person to deliver her Christmas treats, buy many more and bring our gifts for my family back to my parents’ retirement home in Melbourne Beach, Florida. My gift to Carol (we decided only one gift each, a commitment which she breached) was a new and improved engagement band/wedding ring set. On our 10th anniversary (we’re coming up on #19) I had given her the set my grandmother Hazel Mae had always worn as long as I can remember. After several more years of wear they dropped a diamond and pinched Carol’s finger and were subsequently punished by being put in a box for a long time. I had them fixed and cleaned and couldn’t wait to see Carol wear them again.
We haven’t gotten to my favorite Christmas package. It came from Texas, of all places. It was sent by an old friend and spiritual brother, John Calpena. It turns out that he is alive and faithful. We converted him when he was in charge of Seattle University’s ROTC recruitment program several years ago. September 11th happened. John was sent to Texas, then to Afghanistan and Iraq. We lost touch. My letters were returned. Our family prayed almost every night that John was safe physically and spiritually. Last week I opened the box to see that he’d sent me a collection of several Christmas gifts, cards and pictures and a long letter. He introduced me to J.D., his son, and included a series of growing-up pictures. His lasting loyalty, his understanding of family and his ability to make and keep a love commitment is why this was my favorite Christmas gift. These qualities are rare in our modern out-of-sight-out-of-mind culture. John stayed in step with the Spirit, in touch with his God and faithful to his spiritual family in the face of challenges that I will never truly appreciate. I’m thankful for John’s service to our country. I’m happy to know that as an Army Division Command Sergeant Major 10,000 to 15,000 soldiers look to our brother, John, for leadership, inspiration and example in a given day. God bless you, John. Thank you for blessing me this Christmas.

No comments: