Tuesday, April 22, 2008

One Year of Blogging

If you hadn't noticed, April marks one year of the Minister's Blog here on our church website. By no coincidence, April 2007 was also our most frequently blogged month with 30 total posts; that's one for every day of the month, and over double the combined total of 2008 so far! Why the drop off? Perhaps we realized how much time it can take to put together a well crafted blog, or to follow a post by Scott Green. Also, there are now far more articles than ever before, and therefore less blogs. (By the way, what actually distinguishes an 'article' from a 'blog'? Some of my blogs have felt more like articles...)

So, with only eight days left this month, we've got some catching up to do. In a potentially meaningless blog that will increase the monthly total to six, here are my Top Events For April 2008:

- Saw The Boss, Bruce Springsteen, @ KeyArena with Darius Hadjian (Somewhat breaking the rules because the actual concert date was March 29th). This guy still rocks! My ears were sore for seriously three days.
- Met Ed Viesturs @ the Seattle REI. Ed is the first American to climb the world's 14 highest mountains (all over 8,000m) w/o supplemental oxygen. He's somewhat of an icon to me because I admire his accomplishments; his vision and the determination to see it through. You may remember him from the IMAX movie Everest.
- Had our first ever "Downtown Bible Talk Hot Pot Night." A few new visitors came out and the food and fellowship was excellent!
- Inspiring to me as an outsider now is the University of Washington Campus Ministry. The UWMin has baptized five students this month: 4 girls and 1 guy. Three of these girls were baptized in one week. With a Northwest Campus Retreat this weekend, prayerfully there will be more ready to hit the water. What a miracle to watch!
- I spent three days serving my first jury duty summons for the United States Federal Court in Seattle. I found it enjoyable and informative and would recommend serving if your name is called.
- Our mission on Seattle U and the downtown campuses has been challenging. The guy's in our BT have been committed to morning prayer at Madison park, as well as having real and honest talks about our evangelistic efforts. Last week we had a lesson from Psalm 126 about crying out for the lost of Seattle University and sowing with tears in downtown Seattle. We followed with prayer, and a great time of repentance.
- Personally, the greatest moment of the month came in having my 'kid' brother return home from a six month tour in Iraq with the United States Marine Corp. Eric is 2 1/2 years younger than me, an inch shorter, but outweighs me by about 25lbs. (let's just say it's not fat). Eric and I have always been close, and now he is one of my best friends. It is a great relief to have him back on U.S. soil. One of my lifelong dreams is for him to be baptized as a true disciple. Interestingly, a third of the original 12 disciples were brothers: James and John, Peter and Andrew. I think of these guys and try to imagine standing with my brother as disciples. I'm still hoping and praying for this dream to come true!

That's my list. One thing that has always amazed me about being a disciple is the sheer volume of exciting things that happen in such a short period of time. It helps me to go back over my months and years as a Christian and to see the many experiences and opportunities that God puts into my life on a daily basis. It also helps me, particularly in hard times, to remember the victories and good that God has brought to my life. Many of these things I did not even remember happening until I began writing and took a moment to reflect. We would do well not to forget God's involvement in our lives. So, what does your list look like?

No comments: