Thursday, June 5, 2008

True Companions



"The Quest stands upon the edge of a knife. Stray but a little, and it will fail, to the ruin of all. Yet hope remains while the Company is true."

- Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring


From left to right: Marcus Wallace, Matt Rollins, Emanuel Eguia, myself. Pier 66.

I turned 24 this last Wednesday. I was completely encouraged by the love showered on me by so many disciples. The fellowship felt so true. It felt so refreshing, so life giving. It also felt so... out of character. I had to break off the stiffening rust of bad habits, open back up and resurrect lost practices. I have to admit, I've been a little stale in the fellowship these days, too guarded really. How has your fellowship been, how's your surrounding company doing? Beyond church. How is it on a daily basis? That's what's been missing for me and probably why this week felt like a drink of cold water. It brought me back to days where my fellowship plate was full.
  • I worked Monday, kind of a personal organization day.
  • Got sick Tuesday. Dave White bought me chicken noodle soup and a huge Gatorade. I was knocked out for most of the day, but really appreciated the gifts. I also chatted with Emanuel Eguia for a good half hour. He spent all weekend much sicker than I was. We chatted about life's challenges and things we'd been learning from our quiet times. I'm grateful that these talks have been common for us this past year. Eman has become a best friend in a year's time.
  • Wednesday was the the tops (or so I thought). My girlfriend dropped off cookies, candy and a handmade banner outside my house at some early morning hour... I was still asleep, so the surprise remained in tact. Throughout the day I got so many encouraging phone calls and Facebook messages wishing me a Happy Birthday. The best came from Aaron Helmers giving me a heart-stirring rendition of 'Happy Birthday' via voicemail. What a voice!
  • After work, got a quick coffee time w/ Todd Schoeplin before men's midweek. Todd is a hero in the faith to me. I deeply admire his love for God and his spiritual mindset towards life. We discussed our fellowship woes and confessed that neither of us felt that sharp in the fellowship lately (hmmm, might this be a theme?).
  • Men's midweek - inspiring. Thanks Jay. Really looking forward to a summer of 'Passionate Spirituality' and this time with the bros.
  • Afterwards Brandon Renfrow and I celebrated the day w/ Beer and Pizza (yes, that event deserves capitalization. Brandon always appreciates a good public 'shout-out.' There ya go bro). Sometimes the simplest times are the best. Do you have people you can simply be with? End of day, went to bed.
And then there was Thursday (the actual top)...
  • Miyoko (my girlfriend, who I could write a whole blog about... but you wouldn't want to read) planned a birthday dinner for me at Anthony's on Pier 66 with a group of some of my closest friends. The table was filled with laughter and many memories. What a gift, to be "surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses." God was not to be left out, and gave us a sunset over Elliot Bay complete with a glowing rainbow touching down on Qwest Field. After a crippling dinner we made our way to the pier for some pictures in the gale force winds of June 5th(seriously... June 5th?). This night will stick with me for a long time.
From left to right: Emanuel Eguia, myself, Miyoko Kim, Marcus and Naomi Wallace, Matt Rollins and Jen Harvey.



This was a special week. For me the family was all it's meant to be. What about next week though. Does it have to be any different? Why? Shouldn't the fellowship always be this fulfilling? I know I'd sure like it to be! I also know it's time to get rid of weak (or week) fellowship and get back to the true, life giving fellowship Jesus intended for us. May we all seek to give and to have this kind of company in our own lives!


"The blogs are long while the Company is true."

No comments: