Friday, May 29, 2009

Regarding Blogging by Linda Brumley

An old friend in another city called me last week to say she’d read my blog. It was the first blog I’ve ever written. I felt suddenly uncomfortable with such widespread self-exposure. I found this unease floating in and out of my mind all day long. That night, embarrassment settled in more firmly and I turned on my pillow to tell Ron that I regretted putting myself in the spotlight. I hated the thought that perhaps the blog had been self-centered and I offered him the chance to join me in self reproach by reminding him that I had read it to him and had sought his advice before posting it.

In a fashion I’ve come to depend on for the last 48 years he said: “That blog wasn’t about you. It was about helping others with your vulnerability. Turn over and go to sleep.” Ron: ever dependable to gather in the fragments of my sanity and bind them up with logic for another day/hour/whatever. I settled in for the night pondering whether to think of myself as an egotistical altruist or an altruistic egotist.

Altruism has to be among the most challenging qualities we’re called to as followers of Jesus. Introducing a concise summary of Jesus’ other-centered life the apostle Paul admonishes us: “Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others” (Philippians 2:4).

We’re not asked to live out a sort of self-deprived stoicism in disregard of our own interests as if that might somehow benefit humanity. Rather, in recognizing our own needs, we become better able to understand the practical and emotional needs of others. We gain a keener sense of empathy with our fellowmen as we navigate our way through the struggles of our own lives. We are better equipped to “…do to others what you would have them do to you….” (Matthew 7:12) And if we approach life’s circumstances alert to the lessons that will teach us to lend an ear, lend a hand, and offer an appropriately consoling word, we better understand the beauty of the way Jesus approached his humanity:

“For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in every way…. Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted” (Hebrews 2:17, 18).

3 comments:

Jennifer Johnson said...

In the past year as I've been exploring the "blogoshpere" myself, I've come to see it as another tool in building community. There is a power in our stories if we share them honestly, the good and the bad. We can inspire others and take encouragement from people around the world who are sharing in the human condition. As I've followed other peoples blogs, I've been inspired, instructed, uplifted, provoked, moved - and have been able to share my own thoughts and ideas in the same way.

I am grateful to read your blog posts, Linda. I think of you often, and like to know how you are dealing with your challenges. It helps me to see how you are doing, to know what issues you are grappling with. Thank you for your courage and honesty.

CloudRider said...

Linda, this is Todd in Denver, Mike & Meredith's friend and the composer of the music for your wonderful "Imagine Greater Things." I really enjoyed your concise yet potent article.

While I haven't stepped into the swirling "blog pool" just yet, I've found an avenue toward a similar goal through a MySpace artist page. I'm making some very cool connections throughout the world, sharing my passion.

In fact, your song is one that I've taken the liberty of uploading to my page, and in the few weeks it's been there it's gotten an appreciable amount of play - of the seven there, it's the third most played!

I'd love for you to hear more of my muse. You can visit this page at myspace.com/cloudrider51.

Justin of JRA Designs said...

I am glad you learned what you have, linda. Hubby was right. Its about them. And the only route to them is jesus working through you. So at some point, you have to be exposed.

it is an art, to be sure - this delicate balance of drawing the world to ourselves so that we may show them God. We must use our lives and hearts to gain the attention and then jump out of the way at just the right time so that they can see God and not us.

I lead the worship team here in the Santa Barbara Ca. Church.in that capacity, it is very difficult to do this. but I am learning...