Monday, May 14, 2007

3 M's - Mother's Day, Monday and Marriage

Mother's Day was wonderful. Lots of cards and flowers from Darin AND lots of hugs and kisses from Nicholas and Hazel - they weren't hugging and kissing me just because it was Mother's Day. After a great church service, my parents and sister came over and we all enjoyed a delicious dinner. Darin did a great job grilling. I was sad the day of pampering had to come to an end.

Mondays are usually a day of rest - also my time to catch up on some laundry, house cleaning and grocery shopping. I know! It doesn't sound like rest. Physical rest takes on a whole new meaning when you have a 22 month old and a 3 month old. Nicholas and I went grocery shopping in the afternoon. When we got back home, Darin, seeing how tired I looked coupled with my grumpy attitude earlier, told me I needed some alone time. I gladly took it. I haven't been getting enough rest lately - and it is not because of the kids; they go to bed at 7:30pm. It has been a busy couple of months planning the church banquet and other things. Now that the banquet is over, we can get back on a somewhat "normal" schedule.


The Borders Bookstore in Alderwood Mall is one of my favorite places to go when I am having alone time. This is because there is a Seattle's Best Coffee Shop in the bookstore and they make my favorite hot cocoa. I don't drink coffee but I love hot cocoa especially with my added shot of coconut flavor, whipped cream and the piece of chocolate that they put on top of the whipped cream. (I should get paid for this free advertising.) I decided to go to Borders for my time alone (ofcourse) and I am enjoying a cup of hot cocoa as I write this blog. I just finished one of the chapters from a book I have been reading lately, "A Gentle and Quiet Spirit." Reading books like this one help me keep my focus of growing in my marriage. Some of the chapters in the book are entitled "Are my expectations demanding?, "Are my words gracious?" and "Are my emotions controlling me." These are always convicting. After I read books on marriage, like this one, I notice that I sin more in my relationship with Darin. I am sure some of you can relate to this. This is probably because I am more aware of what I need to change and grow in, so my weaknesses are more obvious to me. If we want to grow in our marriages, a book on marriage is not all we need - we need God's help, prayer, our spouses' help and other people in our lives who can "speak the truth in love" to us.
Pictures of Nicholas and Hazel.

No comments: