Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Does God like camping? He must!



Okay, this is a random family picture from our recent Spring Banquet, but it's better than no picture. Anyway, back to the point...

One of the great blessings of living in the Northwest is the quick "flight" to nature you can experience anytime and in any direction from Seattle. I was once in the habit of celebrating my spiritual birthday (baptism anniversary) by going camping with God and no one else. The problem with that is that I was baptized on December 16, 1984. It's ALWAYS snowing in the mountains and raining on the coast when I'm eager to celebrate and have some time alone with God. I did it anyway and brought good rain gear. Well, I'm a little tardy this year, but I'm going tomorrow rain or shine (it's going to shine).

I have my pack packed and I'm ready to go. Lake Ozette is one of my favorite places in the world. It's a nine mile triangular hike: three to the beach, three along the beach and three back to the car. I can camp anywhere along the ocean and not see another person for days. There are ancient Native American stone carvings I'm hoping to see. They are famous traditional Haida Indian designs. My great grandmother was full Haida. My Mom's a fourth and I'm an eighth. I never knew my mom's father, Alexander Lee, as he died of TB when my mom was little, but I've enjoyed learning about his heritage as the son a Swedish Ship Captain who married a Haida Indian woman in Alaska nearly 100 years ago.

The City Ministry of the Seattle Church has so many great camping memories. I'll try to dig a few old pics up for my next entry. Please pray that God answers my specific prayers during this one night getaway.

Love you,
Jay

No comments: