Thursday, April 19, 2007

Darin Ford - 3/19/2007

This past weekend was a great weekend. The marriage retreat was incredible. Jay and Carol did a great job planning the entire weekend. It was great to connect with couples that AT and I had not connected with in a while. The fellowship was deep and real – the class content was practical and relatable and gave us a lot to think about in our marriage. Attending a marriage retreat keeps you humble and inspires you to keep working on making your marriage great.

During one of the class sessions, Bruce Williams (Bruce and his wife Robyn from LA were our speakers at the retreat) made the point that we need to appreciate the differences that exist between us and our spouses. I realized I had allowed some of the things that attracted me to At in the beginning to become annoying. So I decided to repent!! Why do some of the things that attracted you to your spouse in the beginning become annoying years later? Do we become too comfortable? Do we get lazy?

On Saturday night, AT and I were able to talk about what had impacted us so far in the classes. Sometimes we leave retreats feeling like we need to change everything and then we get overwhelmed and change nothing. So, we decided to change one thing. We had a great time talking about how we would make our marriage even better.
Mondays are a day of rest for us. In the morning, I had my “Starbucks time” with Nicholas (my 20-month old son). I have two Starbucks times with him a week and have been doing so since he was a week old. This is my time to bond with him. This morning as we walked in the doors at our regular Starbucks location, Nicholas was greeted by his fan club – the Starbucks employees. Nicholas has really had an impact on them.

In the afternoon, Nicholas, Hazel (my 5 week old daughter) and I spent time together while At went grocery shopping. Later on, AT and I had our discipling time, we made plans for the week and talked about some future ideas for the North Sector.

No comments: