Thursday, April 19, 2007

Ryan Flynn - 3/6/2007 What Better Time?

It is funny to me where inspiration sometimes comes from. Today was one of those days. I think it was the 65+ degree weather and that for some reason today I spent a lot of time driving (But what is better than driving on a gorgeous Seattle day?). I drove to a Bible study at 7:30 this morning at Seattle University, drove home, drove Steve Chin and Jeff Wong to the airport, drove out to staff at the Mercer Island Community Center, and finally rushed home to make an afternoon Bible study at UW.

With all this driving came plenty of time with the windows down and my music as loud as tolerable (except with Steve and Jeff). For some reason I decided to listen to Rage Against the Machine today. I don’t know why; not really one of my favorite bands, and maybe not the best driving music either (Road Rage?), but whatever… it got me inspired for my day.

On one song, that probably has no spiritual message intended, and instead a political one that I probably didn’t even catch, the instruments cut away, to add effect I guess, and a raspy but emphatic voice whispers,
It has to start somewhereIt has to start sometime. What better place than here. What better time than now.
I don’t know if they coined this phrase, or who did, but it stuck with me. In a strange way I think that this would be the heart God wants me to have; a heart of initiative, not to look for someone else to step up, but at myself as a gap-filler, a heart of passion and even a heart of revolution.

I wonder if Jesus felt some of the same in Luke chapter 4 as He began His ministry in His hometown. I wonder if He felt a bit like, “It’s time to start, it starts right here, and it starts with me!” After all, He did get baptized and then leave to be tempted for 40 days by Satan. I think He was about ready to get going with things, don’t you?
It is a breakthrough point in Jesus’ ministry, an investment point, a point where He puts himself all-in. I admire His courage here, and I always wonder what it was like when He was drug out to the edge of that hill. I wonder if He thought it was the end, that He screwed it up and it was all over. It’s possible. Mostly, I wonder what it felt like as He “walked right through the crowd and went on His way.” What were His thoughts? Was He calm, cool, and collected? It kind of seems like it. Among all of His thoughts, there must have been one that said, “Well, it’s started!”

No comments: