Thursday, April 19, 2007

Marcus Wallace - 3/5/2007

I woke up this Monday morning much like other Monday mornings wondering which campus I would spend the majority of my time at today. Here in Tacoma I usually visit five different college campuses—University of Washington (Tacoma), Pacific Lutheran University, University of Puget Sound, Pierce College, Tacoma Community College—during my week. Instead of a having one main campus with 20 to 40,000 students similar to the University of Washington (Seattle), the city of Tacoma university environment is comprised of these five schools with each having about 2,000 students a piece.

After much debating in my mind, I decided to go Pierce College which is located a little outside of the city of Tacoma in Lakewood. After parking my car on campus, I found a secluded place to pray before going on campus. I prayed for God to bless our campus ministry with many studies and to lead me to people who were open to hearing the gospel. After I got done praying, I made my way to the campus library to have a quiet-time and to plan my appointments for the week. However as I was on my way to library, I saw an opportunity to share with someone who I have wanted to reach out to for some time. The guy I shared my faith with is extremely influential on campus and is an officer for the student government at Pierce. Although at first I was somewhat afraid, I stopped him, encouraged him on the great job that the student government has been doing in putting on activities during the winter, and told him about the convictions of our campus ministry. He seemed surprised by my boldness to just strike up a conversation with him but after talking for a while, he gave me his number and we both agreed that we would hang out sometime and talk more about spiritual things. I was glad that God gave me the strength to open my mouth. Sharing my faith is never easy but I know that it is necessary help a lost and hurting world (especially in the campus ministry). How about you? Are you active in sharing your faith? If so, keep sharing. If not, repent and share with someone tomorrow. The world needs to be shared with.

After finishing my quiet-time and planning time, I left Pierce College and went to Fred Meyer to do some food shopping for myself and buy some drinks for our campus bible discussion group on Thursday. After this I went home, ate some lunch and watched the show "Pardon the Interruption (PTI)" on ESPN. This show is definitely one my favorites! After the show, I went to Federal Way to have a bible study with a teenager in the church who wants to become a Christian. We did a study about the dangers of spending too much time with friends who don’t want to follow God. I could tell that he was challenged but also inspired that he could do it if he relied on God.

I went back to Tacoma and picked up my beautiful fiancĂ©e for our bi-monthly appointment for marriage counseling with Daren and Karla Overstreet. I look forward to this time for the spiritual training that the Overstreets provide and the amazing food that Karla makes. Mmm! Mmm! That woman sure knows how to cook! Naomi and I then dashed off to attend a Singles, Campus, and Teen ministry Bible talk Leaders meeting. We usually get together with this leadership group once every two weeks to talk about bible studies and how to better lead these groups in the church. I was fired up hear that there is a woman in the Singles ministry who is close to getting baptized and that there are 10 bible studies combined currently going on out of the three ministries. Our goal this year to see a harvest of souls saved in the city of Tacoma. But now that I think about it, isn’t that always our goal as disciples? I know it should be.

We rushed back to my house to meet with the campus ministry to watch the TV shows “24” and “Heroes.” We absolutely love these two shows and can’t wait to see all the twists that take place from one episode to the next. And with that, that was the end of my day.

No comments: