Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day 14: A Month of Gratitude, "Kids"

by Jay Kelly

At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?”
He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. –Matthew 18:1-4


Today your homework is to thank God for the child-teachers in your life. This can be your own children, nieces and nephews, grandchildren, neighbors or Kids’ Kingdom students. Also, thank God for your own childhood experiences which have taught you lessons about him. In what ways were your parents like God? In what ways did God protect, provide, teach, tolerate and train you through human parents as you grew up?

A vivid personal story comes to mind for me about trust. Chandler trusted me completely as a young child. We had just moved to Seattle and were renting a house on Queen Anne in the summer of 1997. Chandler was three years old. We had a “jump into Daddy’s arms” game we’d played regularly whenever I had just parked the car. She would undo her car seat, climb into the back of our Jeep Cherokee, I would open the hatch and she would jump into my arms. One day we’d parked and she’d taken her time climbing to the back. I was distracted talking to Carol and she threw herself into the air with my back to her. It had never crossed her mind that I wouldn’t catch her even if I wasn’t looking in her direction. I heard her hit the concrete driveway behind me. I turned as she was looking up at me and inhaling for a great cry of pain and disappointment. She had been betrayed; her trust had been broken. She didn’t understand why I wasn’t aware that she had launched herself into the air and required a strong, yet soft landing followed by tickles and hugs.

Children trust completely even when the authorities in their lives are not worthy or capable. Children forgive just as quickly as they express their honest hurts and pains. Thankfully, our heavenly father is perfect, does have eyes in the back of his head , so to speak, and always offers us that soft landing sometimes followed by tickles and hugs.



Have fun growing in gratitude today. Hope this helps. See you tomorrow,
-Jay Kelly

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for these...
McB

Unknown said...

I also had a trust breakdown with America at a young age only it involved a carpeted staircase. The name of the game was the same and the scenario was similar. I got distracted and she jumped.

My son reminded of my role as a father last night. I took the boys to the Renton Skateboard Park and was cruising around. I was shooting video of the boys going over the little ramps and such. I started to talk to one of the other kids at the park about dropping into the bowl and I look across the skate area and see Rafe on the pavement. He wiped out. I didn't rush over to him. By the time I did get to him he was very mad, not because he fell or even because he was hurt. He was mad because I didn't rush over to him and help him get up. He stated "you're my dad, you're supposed to come over and help me right away". Wow was I convicted. He fell a couple more times and I rushed right over. Thankfully he didn't get seriously injured.
I think the biggest thing for Rafe in the moment was my attentiveness and my seemingly lack of concern. Do I think of God in this way? I do at times and need to remember that God is always concerned about my well being. And to never be mad at God based on my perception.

Jay i am so grateful for your concern. You have a way of making me and those around you feel special.