Sunday, October 18, 2009

Day 19: A Month of Gratitude, "Your Gender"

by Jay Kelly

“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” -Genesis 1:27

Though we have all been made in the image of our heavenly father the different genders reflect different aspects of his perfection, his power and his personality. I asked some guys at a recent men-only worship service what they liked about being male. The guys said they liked being physically strong and aggressive, getting dirty and staying dirty, taking risks and being decisive, fixing things with their hands, protecting and providing for their loved ones, not over-connecting things, but compartmentalizing their lives and focusing on one task at a time and being able to zone out, spending time with other guys and not needing to talk, and many other such things. A group of women might have had a very different list. We also talked about the different roles that our moms and our dads had in the homes we grew up in.

What do you love about being your gender? Give thanks today for all that it means for you to be male or female. What insights do you have about God as you reflect on your gender with gratitude?

Have fun growing in gratitude today. Hope this helps. See you tomorrow,
-Jay

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I would agree with the list. I would added being a male in a family is a big responsibility. My wife leans on me even when I don't have all the answers. I am there to be a voice a reason in the house. I typically use brute strength when moving boxes or furniture and my wife will use her lower body. Also I do what ever it takes to get a job done whereas my wife will take her time to make it perfect.
Jay I am grateful for the way you embrace your gender and make every effort to be all things to all men even if it means talking about sports. heh