Sunday, October 4, 2009

Day 5: A Month of Gratitude, "Answered Prayers"

Gratitude Blog for Monday, October 5:
by Jay Kelly

Today is Day 5 of a month of gratitude!
Homework: Make a list of answered prayers.

We are often riveted when feeling the need for God to answer our prayers for this or that, for him to rescue us, heal us or lead us. What happens next is sad, but common. We don’t even acknowledge his timely responses, but quickly move on the next thing we want or need. Today’s homework is to take the time to reflect, remember and reminisce about as many answered prayers as come to mind. Write the down. Share some with others.

On a personal note… Last night was a night I’ll never forget. Our Second Annual Building Preservation Auction for our historic church building was a series of answered prayers (www.another100years.com). One highlight was the attendance of our new friend, Kendra Todd, winner of Donald Trump’s television reality show, The Apprentice, Season 3. Midway through the live auction Kendra inspired us with her commitment to our cause, a new roof for our historic building. She pledged to match the first ten thousand dollars in donations, dollar-for-dollar, during our “Fund a Need” donation time. We raised over $13,000 in the following five minutes. Her pledge turned that into $23,000. We now have the matching funds needed for our Landmark Challenge Grant to repair the roof and $23,000 becomes $43,000 when we add the grant money we were awarded. We are on our way to waterproofing this amazing piece of history. Thanks to all of you who gave yourselves to this cause.


Have fun growing in gratitude today. Hope this helps. See you tomorrow.

-Jay Kelly (and the Staff of the Seattle Church of Christ)

3 comments:

Derrick said...

Thanks Jay for reminding us the importance of not forgetting


Short List of Life Changing Answered Prayers -

1. At UW prayed I would find people devoted to God's word:

Corbin, Alex Whitaker, and Mo met and studied the Bible with me

2. Senior year prayed our BT would have the heart of Gideon and rely on God to bring the victories:

God's answer was everyone excelled academically that year and as a BT 20+ people studied the Bible, 4 of whom became disciples

3. Prayed I would begin a career I would love that involved being challenged physically/mentally & helping others:

Out of the 1800 people who applied I was one of the 14 people who was offered and kept their job as a firefighter (less than 1% of applicants)

4. Prayed I would have a family built on God and His Word:

I have an amazing wife who is faithful to God and an impressionable son (Psalm 127:3-5)

To God be the glory! (Deut. 8:18)

Unknown said...

Answered prayers are extremely exciting when you do recognize them. I am encouraged by the stories I hear from people who have answered prayers and are able to recognize them as such.

For me and my family being back in Seattle is an answered prayer. Finding the awesome house we are renting is an answered prayer.

I grew up as an only child raised by a single mother. I always had a longing for a father. I also had a longing for a family of my own someday. I did not grow up in a spiritual or religous household, but, I knew in my heart that there was a "higher power" at work somehow, somewhere. When I took interest in seeking a relationship with God I prayed for a family of my own and to meet my biological father. As you know I have the perfect wife for me and 4 amazing kids. I am still waiting for the 2nd prayer to come true but I know that good things come to all who are patient.

I am grateful to God for you in my life to help remind me that I have not only an amazing family but an amazing spiritual family as well.

Jennifer Johnson said...

This month of gratitude is already changing my outlook. As I lay in bed this morning unable to sleep, I was able to turn some of my worries into gratitude and praise. I see this also as a chance to change my children's lives by training them in gratitude from the beginning. Imagine how that could alter the trajectory of their lives!

Some of the answered prayers that stand out to me:
--When I was in college I wrestled with the meaninglessness of life. I knew the answers involved God, but didn't understand the Bible. I prayed that he would lead me to college students on campus who could help me understand the Bible, and he inspired a sister to invite me to BT. It was the middle of a crowded hallway on campus, but somehow she knew to stop me.

--When I was grieving my miscarriage, I would get stuck about certain issues. Every time I got stuck, I would pray and very quickly God would lead me on a path to resolution, either by a book, a sermon, a talk with a friend, a deep counseling session, or just a journaling revelation. I really got the feeling that God wanted me to learn and grow and come to peace with him, and that he was right there ready to provide the answers and support I needed.

--Of course my husband is an answered prayer, as are my two wonderful children.

There's more, but I'll stop here. Thanks to our leaders and my brothers and sisters in Christ.
-Jennifer