Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day 23: A Month of Gratitude, "Time Off"

by Jay Kelly

Even God took a day off! It’s hard for many of us to take an entire day off to do nothing, but rest, reflect and recharge. Fridays are supposed to be my day off. I am guilty of often allowing various responsibilities to spill over into my time off. Tomorrow I am going to take our dog, Divot, for a long ocean-front prayer walk at Lincoln Park. Carol and I will do yoga. After that I’m going to paint for a few hours (not paint the house, but work on a portrait I've been commissioned). I am going to spend time reading one or all of the three books I’m working through right now. Seems like I should do fiction only if it’s time off. Carol and I have been very faithful to Friday night date nights and I’m looking forward to our special time together. We’re going to West Seattle High School’s Homecoming football game. Both Paige and Chandler have been nominated for Homecoming Court.

God’s people have always been challenged by their ambitions, their greed and their lack of faith. Doing work on the Sabbath was punishable by death (Exodus 31:15), why? I’m thinking God had our interests in mind when he forced the issue with his children. “Take time off or I’ll kill you!” sounds like something a father might say to the children he loves who are driving themselves into the ground and not experiencing life the way it was designed to be lived.

HOMEWORK: Make a list of your favorite vacation memories and give thanks for the importance of time off. Why did you enjoy that time so much? What needs did it meet? Consider your schedule. Are you taking the time you need to follow God’s plan of weekly rest? Plan and schedule an entire day that will refresh you some time in the next week. What will you do? How will you feel? Pray for the faith and freedom to experience a personal Sabbath weekly.

When I think of total relaxation and refreshment I think of a nine mile hike at Lake Ozette along the Pacific coast. My tradition on my spiritual birthday (December 16, 1984) is to go camping with God. The pictures show my hammock with pillow and book waiting. My tent has an ocean view. I sleep to the sound of the waves after a day of hiking, singing, journalling, prayer and goal setting. Pray you have similar times that give you strength and joy.

Take time off... or else!

Have fun growing in gratitude. Hope this helps. See you tomorrow,
-Jay Kelly

2 comments:

Jennifer Johnson said...

Thank you for the example you set in taking personal time. I do not take this time every week, but when I start feeling depressed and resentful about life I know it is time for a break. Several times I year I make sure to get times in nature alone, or even go on a retreat overnight by myself. Every time I do I am refreshed and invigorated, and my faith gets renewed.

One of my favorite places to go for time away is Deception Pass State Park. There are beautiful trails and gorgeous coastline. There is something special about that area that just helps me take a deep breath and calm down. I go to the mountains, too, for inspiration and renewal.

Unknown said...

ThIs blog and the previous blog could not have come at a better time for me. I am in Laguna Beach, California. I am going to the beach everyday and experiencing some serious alone time with God.
Thank you for taking such good care of your relationship with God. Your strength inspires me.