Saturday, October 17, 2009

Day 18: A Month of Gratitude, "I Can Change!"


by Jay Kelly


“Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress.” I Timothy 4:15

Thank God that we do not spend our lives as the exact same person. Make a list of all the fundamental changes you’ve made. Who were you and who are you now? Who or what helped you to make those changes? Remember the fears that once controlled you? Remember the trappings of your youth? What seemed very important to you when you were younger that means nothing to you now?

Have fun growing in gratitude today. Hope this helps. See you tomorrow,
-Jay

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hebrews 4:12-13 comes to mind. Jay I feel like you are calling me out. I do remember how alone I felt at times growing up. I also remember how amazing I felt once I understood what the scriptures were talking about. I remember the amazing spirit of oneness with all of the diciples when I was baptized. I am joyful to hear you say the words "I can change". Changing today means so much more today than it did 20 years ago. Back then change was something that only happened because of aging. I am happy to know that the sins of my youth are no longer a part of my life and that change is now about my character and my attitudes rather than just weaker bones and poor eye sight. Growing up with no father is another area that to this day makes me sad. I suppose the abandonment I felt growing up is a major area of struggle for me today. I wonder if I will ever be able to talk to my physical father. I don't have the resources necessary to pursue that sort of endeavor and I hope that when I do that he has not passed away. I feel like being able to speak to him would close and open alot of doors of change in my life. What do you think? I have always said I would never do to my kids what my father did to me and with your love and support I know I never will. I am slowing changing backwards in some respects to how I was before I left Seattle and in some ways moving forward. I love being at work and being able to walk away from gossip. Hopefully soon I will have regular visitors from work attending church. Thank you for your words of inspiration.
I am grateful for your knowledge of the scriptures. You inspire me bro.