Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Day 8: A Month of Gratidude, "Heroes"


by Jay Kelly

Today is Day 8 of a month of gratitude!
Homework: Heroes are an important ingredient in any great life. Tell one of yours how grateful you feel.

We all need inspiration to achieve our personal best. We have heroes from the past and many living heroes who impact our daily lives by their examples of excellence, their interest in our lives or their passion for their purposes. Who are your personal heroes? Your homework today is to make a list of personal heroes both living and dead. Contact one of your living heroes and tell them how they have inspired you. Be specific as you describe the impact they’ve had on your life.

Three of my many living heroes are:

My father and foundation builder, James Patrick Kelly, Jr (I’m JPK, III): My dad excels in so many disciplines, has a diverse set of interests, loves his family and is living a meaningful and healthy life at 74 years of age. My dad is a great man in the eyes of those who know him well.

My boss and best man, Scott Green: Scott lives his life respecting his principles and directing his passions for the good of all those under his leadership. He has saved me, restored me, guided me and loved me through 25 years of spiritual growth and treasured companionship. Together we are building a strong church and encouraging a family of churches along the way.

My trainer and true teacher, Gregg Marutzky: Gregg combines his exceptional wisdom and tireless work ethic to the service of God’s purposes and God’s people. The Lord of the Harvest has placed fire in Gregg’s heart that has re-ignited me over and over again; he fans many of God’s workers into flame. His crown is being encrusted in jewels.

Have fun growing in gratitude today. Hope this helps. See you tomorrow,

-Jay Kelly (and the Staff of the Seattle Church of Christ)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mom. She raised me as a single parent and was always an amazing example of hard work and dedication. I never heard her speak ill of another person. She made every effort to give me whatever I wanted. Over the years she took me on amazing vacations and we would travel around the midwest to go to swim meets. I remember her over the years often working two jobs just so I could have the sort of childhood that she never had. Growing up I wouldn't believe her when she said she was doing it for me. After America was born I came to an understanding of what she meant. I would do anything to make my kids happy and give them a fulfilled life. I love talking to her about the kids and after every conversation I appreciate her all the more. I love you mom.

Jay your an amazing father and I love the care you have put into your childrens lives over the years.