Friday, October 16, 2009

Day 17: A Month of Gratitude, "In Memoriam"

by Jay Kelly

Day 17 of the Gratitude Blog... HOMEWORK: Celebrate Today in Memoriam

“Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his Saints.” Psalm 116:15

“Be faithful even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. He who overcomes will not be hurt at all by the second death.” Rev. 2:10b-11


Life is beautiful and unpredictable. Life is short for all of us, shorter for some. Who do you know that is already in heaven? Make a list of loved ones that have crossed from this life to the next. How grateful are you for another day of life here on the earth? What will it be like to be welcomed into paradise by your heavenly father and your spiritual family?

In what ways did these special people touch your life? How does it make you feel knowing they’ve gone ahead of you and have received the gift of eternal life? What do you miss about them?

My friends Chip Stone, Zack Hill and Dan Rice come to mind immediately and then the list grows from there.



Chip (pictured here having an early morning quiet time in his dorm room) was an unforgettable personality in our campus ministry at University of Nebraska.





Zack (pictured with close friend, Andy Winje, to the right) was on the mission team from Denver that started the Lincoln Church. He served as a great support to me when I was leading there.




Dan is a kindred spirit and life-long companion to me. I miss them, honor them and those like them who were faithful unto death. One day we will all walk among them in perfect joy.



Have fun growing in gratitude today. Hope this helps. See you tomorrow,
-Jay

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have some family members who have died. I also have friends from school who taken thier own lives. I know that it is up to God who goes to heaven, but, the scriptures are very clear. Every funeral I have been to the Priest or preacher has spoken about the person going to a better place ie heaven. Jay I know that the people I know have not had thier lives in line with the scriptures so is there still a chance they made it to heaven?

Jay I am grateful for how deeply you love people. I can only hope someday to love as deeply as you do. That you for your amazing example of how to love.