Friday, October 23, 2009

Day 24: A Month of Gratitude, "Healing"

by Jay Kelly

“Are you hurting? Pray. Do you feel great? Sing. Are you sick? Call the church leaders together to pray and anoint you with oil in the name of the Master. Believing-prayer will heal you, and Jesus will put you on your feet. And if you've sinned, you'll be forgiven—healed inside and out.”
–James 5:13 (The Message)

We serve a God who heals us in every way and seems to enjoy doing it. Jesus was creative, spontaneous and controversial in his healing habit. The human body God gave you to carry your soul through this short life even heals itself when you bang it up. If you bring the subject of scars up around a bunch of guys the conversation quickly turns into a competition for biggest scar and most dramatic story. Your scars remind you of past injury and the healing power of God’s design for your body.

HOMEWORK: Count your scars. Give thanks for God’s healing hand in your life. Make a list of past injuries that once hurt you deeply, but have now been healed. Your scars may be physical or emotional, but they are yours and you wear them as reminders of the power of God in your life.

Thank God that he heals us inside and out. Have fun growing in gratitude today. Hope this helps. See you tomorrow,
-Jay Kelly

2 comments:

kel said...

Thanks again Jay for a great lesson. I am grateful for the scars in my life - for the most part! Sometimes when I'm feeling sorry for my self, I tend to put the blame on past hurts. But when I look at my life in gratitude, I understand that I wouldn't be living the amazing life I have now without my past being part of the package. Songs say it better. :^}

This Rascal Flatts song is my theme song for how I feel about Steve.
"Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars. Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you"

This is my favorite Sara groves song - exactly how I feel about God when I found him almost 12 years ago.
"And I feel you here
And you're picking up the pieces
Forever faithful
It seemed out of my hands, a bad situation
But you are able
And in your hands the pain and hurt
Look less like scars and more like Character"

Semi Permanent said...

You have shared very useful information here about Self Harm. Deliberate Self Harm scarring, or self-injury, is becoming increasingly recognized as a problem affecting adolescents and young adults. Rates are difficult to determine, as the behaviors are often concealed.